Manager/Scientist – In Vivo Research
Location: South San Francisco, CA
(No relocation candidates, only local candidates will be considered)
Parvus Therapeutics is pioneering a breakthrough class of disease-specific, non-immunosuppressive biologics called NavacimsTM that are designed to halt and potentially cure autoimmune disease and other inflammatory disorders by restoring immune tolerance. Navacims are comprised of iron oxide nanoparticles coated with disease-relevant peptide-major histocompatibility complex (pMHCs) proteins. Therapeutic use of Navacims trigger significant reduction in disease-associated inflammation without effecting general immunity through the induction and systemic expansion of disease-specific type 1 regulatory T (TR1) cells resulting in profound and durable therapeutic efficacy as assessed in preclinical disease models.
Parvus recently announced that it had entered into a worldwide collaboration and license agreement with Genentech covering three programs: Autoimmune Liver Disease, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, and Celiac Disease. In support of our new partnership, Parvus is expanding to on-board the additional resources necessary to advance these programs to the clinic.
The Position: Manager/Scientist – In Vivo Research
We are seeking a Manager (Bachelor’s or Master’s) or Scientist (Ph.D.) to join the Parvus Immunology Research Group to help oversee and conduct in vivo animal studies for our various therapeutic area projects. This is a hands-on position that is focused on in vivo techniques and readouts, and includes related downstream ex vivo assays. The desired candidate will be someone who has extensive rodent research animal experience (mice), including NSG and autoimmune mouse models, and an interest in using in vivo models to investigate Navacim-induced therapeutic efficacy and characterize mechanisms of action. Compensation and title will be commensurate with experience level.
Responsibilities and duties include:
- Hands-on vivarium work and management of all aspects of in vivo mouse studies for Research in coordination with therapeutic area project team leads
- Oversee ongoing consistency and training of animal technicians to maintain high proficiency in animal handling techniques including routes of administration
- Responsible for in-house development of humanized-NSG and mouse autoimmune disease models in conjunction with therapeutic area project team leads
- Coordinate post-takedown tissue collection and processing with Research teams and participate in ex vivo assays such as flow cytometry, ELISpot, ELISAs, cell culture and stimulation assays, cell sorting, TCR sequencing and scRNA-seq
- Account for and replenish animal inventory and vivarium operational supplies
- Execute planned experiments according to project timelines
- Contribute proactively to cross-functional activities across Research groups and with other departments as needed
- Document experiments and write study reports according to company policies and good documentation practices
- Present data at internal and external meetings
- Comply with company guidelines covering employees’ expectations and laboratory/vivarium safety policies
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (Manager) in the sciences or a Ph.D. degree (Scientist) in immunology or a related discipline, with extensive in vivo experience and proficiency in mice techniques used in animal research studies
- Must have experience with mouse disease models and/or with humanized-NSG mice; hands-on work with mouse autoimmune disease models is a strong plus
- Comfortable working with and conducting drug candidate testing using rodent models, primarily mice, with in vivo manipulations and downstream ex vivo assays
- A background in autoimmunity is a plus, particularly in Celiac Disease, Autoimmune Liver Disease, or Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Knowledge of current immunological techniques is a plus (flow cytometry, cell culture-based assays, ELISpot/ELISA, cell sorting, sequencing)
- Ability to independently investigate new methodologies and troubleshoot data; able to propose improved approaches and corrective experimental designs
- Has developed mentoring abilities, leading by example
- Creative and decisive while performing in a collaborative manner according to corporate objectives
- Able to work in a fast-pace environment and adapt to changes under short notice with a proactive and collaborative mindset
- Behaves professionally and empathetically towards colleagues
Parvus Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Parvus is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.